Moist & Delicious Banana Cake
Recipe type: Cake
I likey bananas. I likey banana bread. I likey cake. But I LOOOOOVE this banana cake recipe!!! Moist, dense dah-LICIOUSNESS. Hmm… those bananas on my countertop seem to be calling me, right now. Can you HEAR that? Gotta go!
- 1½ cups mashed, ripe bananas (about 3½ peeled bananas before they’re mashed)
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup softened butter (or 1¼ cup vegetable oil, which is what I use)
- 2⅛ cups granulated sugar (or you can use a mixture of white and brown sugar)
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1½ cups buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees. Grease your pans. (This recipe will fill a 9 x 13 pan or 2, 8″ round (2″ deep) pans.
- In a small bowl, mix mashed bananas with lemon juice and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix flour, baking soda and salt and set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream the butter (or just get your oil) and mix it with the sugar until light and fluffy (or if using oil, mix for about 2 minutes.)
- Beat in eggs, one at a time, then stir in the vanilla extract.
- Beat in the flour mixture, alternating with portions of the buttermilk, until both are just incorporated.
- Stir in the banana mix.
- Bake for 1 hour (I’ve found that I often need more like an hour and 20 minutes), or until inserted toothpick comes out clean.