Recipe type: Cake Filling/icing
Serves: A double batch with fill and cover an 8" round, 5" high cake
This is the easiest way I’ve found to prepare it when using to fill and ice a cake with before covering the cake in fondant.
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 16½ oz GOOD QUALITY dark chocolate ( in chunks or chips… or chopped, but who’s got time for that?)
- (But I ALWAYS double this recipe, even to cover a 6″ cake. And any left over ganache can be frozen and saved for next time!!)
- Mix the cream and the chocolate together in a microwavable safe bowl.
- Microwave on high for two minutes.
- Take the bowl out of the micro, and gently stir just a bit.
- Put back in the micro for 2 more minutes or until almost completely melted.
- Stir with a spatula (NOT a wooden spoon… stay away from wood as you want no moisture involved here, trust me) and then whisk until completely smooth.
- Now let it sit. I cover mine, and wait at least a few hours before applying to my cake so that it can “set”.
- You can also refrigerate it over night and then bring it back to room temp when needed, or soften in the micro on defrost for 30 second intervals until fully melted again.
* NOTE… I get my quality chocolate from the Pastry Portal. It is FANTASTIC and I get it in bulk so it’s always on hand! I highly recommend them!! I have the specific chocolate I order listed near the bottom of my "Tools Shop" page.