Buttercream for Making Flowers
This is the recipe I use when making buttercream flowers. It's a simple, crusting recipe that helps the flowers hold their shape. You may have to adjust it according to your climate. If your climate is very dry and cold, you can always add a very small amount of water to the mixture to help soften it just a bit!
- 1 cup butter = (2 sticks, US) = (@250 g)
- 4 cups confectioner's sugar = (1 lb)= (500 g)
- 1 tsp extract
- Mix the butter until smooth in a mixer.
- Gradually add the powdered sugar, mixing on low with paddle attachment (not whisk).
- Add the extract until well mixed (on low speed... trying to avoid bringing air into the mix).
- Note: I tripled this recipe to make my 8" floral wreath cake.
- I made the flowers first, and then added some water to the rest of the buttercream to make it a bit more smooth so I could ice my 8" cake with it, nicely.