Moist, Chocolate Sour Cream Cake
Recipe type: Cake
Serves: Makes about 2, 10″ rounds in 3″ deep pans OR 1, 10″ and 1, 12″ round in 2″ deep pans
The only chocolate cake recipe I’ll use, now, as it’s moist, dense, carves well, and is RIDICULOUSLY delicious! *Disclaimer- This recipe STARTS with a box, but it is the added ingredients that makes it so great. I have never had a problem using such recipes, if they taste delicious and work well with my designs. I’ve tested out SEVERAL scratch chocolate cakes, and not one of them could beat this recipe in taste and workability. Hence, it is my favorite.
- 2 boxes of chocolate cake mix (the more chocolaty, the better, and I’ve used boxes that are 16.5 oz (468 g) or 15.25 oz (432 g), both work well)
- 2 cups flour (all purpose)
- 2 cups sugar
- ¼ cup cocoa (I like dark cocoa)
- 1½ tsp salt
- 2⅔ cup water
- 4 Tab oil (canola or vegetable)
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups sour cream
- 6 whole eggs
- Preheat oven to 325, and prepare your cake pans
- Mix first 5 (dry) ingredients together with a whisk, in a large bowl.
- Add remaining ingredients and beat on low for 2 minutes. (I use beater blades in my Kitchen Aid. They’re perfect. Link, HERE.)
- Pour into greased and floured (or sprayed with “Pam”, the baking kind with flour in the ingredients) pans, about ¾ full.
- Bake @325 until toothpick inserted comes out clean.